Baby Gift Maker (Make One Gift, Casual Position)

Opportunity ID: 1831

Organization Details
Organization Name: You Can't Spoil A Baby
Address: 31 Woodview Bay
Winnipeg, MB R3R 3C9
Website: http://youcantspoilababy.org/
Organizational Description: A Manitoba based volunteer network who collects, creates and delivers custom gifts of once loved baby clothes and items to help families in need with the first year of baby's life. We believe that every baby deserves an equal start.

Participating in You Can't Spoil A Baby as a volunteer is a memorable experience that encourages healthier and more connected communities while benefiting the planet too since our gifts are made primarily of once-loved baby items.

We know how busy life gets, so we prioritize volunteer opportunities that are done from your home, business or community group, and on your schedule after reading a simple online training. YCSAB offers one-time and ongoing volunteer positions for individuals, community groups, and businesses. Check out ycsab.org for more info or follow us on Facebook or Instagram to stay connected.
Volunteer Opportunity Details
Description of Duties: Making and delivering one baby gift for one of the 200+ families on You Can't Spoil A Baby's waiting list is now easier and more rewarding than ever. Whether you have already collected some gently used/new baby items or you are starting off only with the desire to help, we will provide you everything you need to 'Make One Gift'.

This 'Make One Gift' casual position is a perfect activity for families interested in community service or who want to meet the family who benefits from their donation of once loved baby items; for friends who want a project to work on together; for students looking to earn extra credit; for businesses to use as a team building event; or, as a way to enhance a special holiday like Mother or Father's Day or birthdays.

There are 8 steps to get you from training to gift delivery:
1. Complete our 'Make One Gift' application below;
2. Read our simple training document;
3. Collect donations (from your stock or ours);
4. We email you the gift applicant's info;
5. You contact the gift applicant to introduce yourself;
6. You prepare the gift;
7. You deliver the gift; and, 
8. Update as once your gift has been delivered.
Skills Required: -Well organized and reliable.
-Good communication skills by phone/email. 
-Access to a vehicle to deliver your gift.
-Respectful of sensitive personal information.
-Friendly, compassionate and nonjudgmental. 
-Trustworthy and dependable.
-Patience: it can be challenging contacting gift applicants who have unreliable contact info
-To be understanding and compassionate of the fact that having a baby is a vulnerable time.
Skills Gained/Related Careers: -Coordination
-Poverty awareness
-Adaptability
-Compassion
-Social justice experience
-Time management
-Organization
-Interpersonal Skills
-Social Work
Age: 17 and under, 18-30, 31-54, 55+
Time Commitment:
Making one gift takes approx. 3-5 hours, and 90% of these hours can be done from your home/business/group location. The other 10% are done delivering the gift or collecting donations from our team. As a 'Make One Gift' volunteer, you will decide when you collect donations, create your gift and deliver your gift. You set your own schedules, and can easily change your availability with a quick email.
Location of volunteer opportunity: Brandon
Central
Eastman
Interlake
Norman
Parkland
Thompson
Westman
Winnipeg
Does opportunity require a criminal record check? No
Does opportunity require a child abuse registry check? No
Opportunity is available to candidates that: Are fulfilling volunteer hours for credit
Organization will provide: A letter of reference
Training/Orientation
How to Apply: Online: youcantspoilababy.org/volunteer/make-one-gift/
Closing Date: Dec 31, 2019