- Volunteer Manitoba is excited to bring David Hartley back to Winnipeg for two exciting and engaging days of professional development. We guarantee you've never attended sessions as fun, practical, comprehensive, and informative as these before. Join us for Risk Management for Non-Profits: How to Motivate Your Leaders and Protect Your People on May 31st, and The Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Maximizing the Potential of Your Leaders and Volunteers While Avoiding Burnout on June 1st. Both days take place at the Delta Hotel Downtown Winnipeg, and participants are encouraged to register for both. Lunch is included.
Risk Management for Non-Profits: How to Motivate Your Leaders and Protect Your People
- This very popular workshop includes the following topics:
Risk Is Normal – Losing Sleep is Not
How to Motivate Your Board, Staff & Volunteers to Manage Risk
Key Legal Concepts
Boundary Form: A Powerful Tool
Free Experts: Using Your People
Creating a Culture of Candour
3 Risks Often Neglected
4 things I’d need before joining your board
Creating a 90-Day Task Force
How to Find & Map Your Key Risks
4 Filters to Put Each Risk Through
The second half of the day helps attendees learn to handle specific key risks that nonprofits face. Other topics include:
Managing the Board's Legal Risk
How to Minimize Leadership Liability
Managing Volunteer Staff
Managing Paid Staff
Special Event Risk (incl. Alcohol)
Partnering & Contracting
Insurance: What You Need to Know
Online Help and Other Resources
- Testimonials on This Session
- "I had heard great reviews about David's risk management training and I was not disappointed. Within days we began implementing new strategies outlined during the training. Thanks!" Carolyn Couchie, Executive Director, Victim Services of Nipissing District, Ontario.
- “The best workshop on governance and risk management that I have attended! David presented two difficult subjects and kept the entire Board engaged and interested!” Adrienne Smith, Manager, B.C. 4-H
- "I just wanted to say thank you for the Risk Management training you provided recently. In the course of a 21-year career and 13 years of volunteering in the not-for-profit sector, this was the most beneficial one-day training event I can recall, both in terms of quantity of new and usable information and in quality of delivery. Thanks again."
- Mike Davey, Sergeant, Sault Ste. Marie Police Service and Board Chair of local nonprofit
Thursday, May 31st, 2012
Delta Hotel Downtown Winnipeg
350 St Mary Ave
Fee: $160 for this one full day (May 31st) workshop. Includes Lunch.
Facilitator: David Hartley
About David Hartley
David Hartley is the former Director of Imagine Canada's Insurance & Liability Resource Centre for Nonprofits. Previously a licensed insurance broker, in 1998 David began a career training insurance professionals, eventually for 3 Canadian insurers, until he joined Imagine Canada with the opening of this Centre, summer 2007.
Over the past 4 plus years David has conducted more than 220 risk management (including customized assessments), governance or leadership workshops with over 8,000 nonprofit leaders in 65 Canadian towns/cities. These workshops have met with rave reviews. His presentation style is described as "fresh, informative and very engaging".
David holds a Canadian Risk Management designation from the University of Toronto / Risk and Insurance Management Society. He also holds a John Maxwell leadership certification and at the November 2011 risk conference held the highest attended and evaluated workshop entitled "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership". He is available for risk, governance or leadership training/assessments for your nonprofit organization in 2012.
Delores Jansen, Registration Coordinator
phone: 204.477.5180 ext 221 (toll free) 888.922.4545
Cancellation and final registration date: 7 days prior